Winks Greene Transeva

Suitable for treating:



Pains & Strains


Bells Palsy



Temporary Relief

Nerve Injuries



Tribute to Sir Charles Strong

Sir Charles strong was a man born before his time and my mother Winks Greene considered herself fortunate in having been his disciple.
In the late 1940’s Sir Charles Strong perfected the faradic current when he produced the first machine, called” The Strong Box “then in 1980 he made the first “Transeva” which was used to treat horses in the Royal stables and for which he received his knighthood from Queen Elizabeth ll.
Unfortunately he died of a stroke soon afterwards and was unable to manufacture the machine for general use.
It was my mother’s ambition as his disciple to add to and improve this modality by benefiting from modern expertise.
The modality is basically FARADISM  and the method – Rhythmic Muscle Contraction is used with great success for all strains, sprains and contusions in both humans and animals.
My mother felt most privileged to continue his initiative for helping those in distress.

A Tribute to Winks Greene

Winks Greene passed away in June 2010 having given her life to helping and healing people all over the world, on her death many people wrote tributes to her and her timeless work with both humans and animals …
Today we speak of another grand old dame, this time of the human variety, who’s passed to the Elysian Fields. Winks Greene was some lady. Everything she achieved in her life, she did off her own deep reserves of determination, imagination and an insatiable energy.
When she first entered the world of physiotherapy, she had to withstand the resistance of many, particularly the veterinary profession, some of whom cast her business as some sort of witchcraft. Her only saving grace came in the belief she inspired in the then Champion trainer, Terrance Millard, and through his support her credibility and her talents came to be appreciated by a much wider audience.
Many a Shark, and any number of Springbok rugby players were rehabilitated through sessions at “The Wolds”. And many a young lady, trained and mentored by Winks, has passed that way to become her reincarnations for the future. Their roads, of course, were never quite so rocky.
In the early 1990’s, when Bruntville township on the outskirts of Mooi River, was the “hottest” spot on the political landscape and the regular scene of the shocking ritual of “necklacing”, Winks drove into the heart of it in the dead of night. Her purpose: to retrieve her beloved Jerseys, which had been rustled from her paddocks. Winks had the heart of a lioness.
At the personal level, our mutual affection arose from the common reverence we held for thoroughbreds. Winks was born a member of one of our most famous breeding dynasties, the Labistours of Dagbreek, who produced the winner of two Durban Julys in the 50’s, Gay Jane (1951) and C’est Si Bon (1954) as well as a number of runners-up, Masquerader, Labby and Doctor John. Some place, was Dagbreek. Whenever we met, our conversations turned to those days, and to the stallions, Sadri II (who also won the July,) and the great French-bred English Champion Stakes hero, Mystery IX.
Inevitably, we sat down to a glass of her favourite red tipple (it was the only thing about the Cape she liked more than her beloved Natal.) She always arranged my appointments with her to coincide with the end of the day, so that we could enjoy a natter at the end. The one thing that stood out about Winks Greene, was her generosity. She never had much money, but she’d give you the shirt off her back. She had a heart of gold.

Miracle Worker

On a remote farm in South Africa, 71-year-old Winks Greene is achieving remarkable results healing crippled horses and injured athletes. And it's all done with a contraption the size of a shoe box

Kerrie Stelling
Sunday 4 August 2002
Observer Sport Monthly

Before dawn breaks on her farm in the rolling hills of KwaZulu, Natal, 71-year-old Winks Greene is up and ready to feed the dogs, ducks, geese, peacocks and wild birds. Three and a half hours later, at 8am, Greene's other life begins. She treats a succession of patients for injuries. Most of them are horses, some are humans. Some are rugby players who thought they might never play again. All are treated with a machine the size of a shoe box that uses electrical current to stimulate nerves and muscle activity. 'This machine is going to change the world,' says Greene. It's an extravagant claim made in an unusual setting, far away from the world's centres of hi-tech medicine. But Greene is a true believer. After all, she was present when the machine's prototype was first used more than 50 years ago.
Winks Greene arrived in London in 1951. She had wanted to be a vet, but they only trained 15 a year in South Africa - and all were men. Instead, she was sent to study under Charles Strong, a Harley Street doctor and physiotherapist. Greene's father - a farmer, horse trainer and breeder - had read about Strong's work and written to him. The idea was that his daughter would study human physiotherapy for a while, then move on to horses.
Greene turned up at St Mary's Hospital in London, where Strong was a lecturer. 'He never took apprentices,' she remembers. 'I had to sit on his doorstep for three and a half hours until he said to me, "You'd better come inside." I was prepared to sit there all day in the rain. He said, "Tell me, are all South Africans as persistent as you are?" I said, "Yup. If we want to know something we ask." Within a week Strong put his pupil to the test. 'He just said, "Be here at 8am tomorrow." The next day I was all keen and said, "Where are we going?" "You'll see," he replied. We came to these huge gates and he said, "You'll stay here for five days and cure the animals." And I said, "Where are we?" He answered, "Mountbatten's estate."'
Strong was developing a completely original method of pinpointing and treating serious musculo-skeletal injuries. He was already using the 'Strong Box' on humans, but Mountbatten had a suggestion. 'If you can cure us, why can't you cure the injuries to our polo ponies?'
Strong took up the challenge and Mountbatten's animals were among the first to be treated - with Greene watching and learning at first hand. She was fascinated by Strong's work, but London then was a grim and frequently inhospitable place. 'It was a horrible time,' she remembers. 'It was the Festival of Britain, and I felt for the English terribly because the country was at its worst. The people were down and there was devastation all round. We were given ration coupons and I just offloaded what I had. The kids needed the sugar and the bananas more than I did. The people were so brave and never asked for anything; I couldn't bear it, one banana a week! I focused on Charles Strong and what I wanted to learn. The day that stands out the most was that we first went to Lord Mountbattan's estate. I actually treated the Duke of Edinburgh's polo ponies.'
Her family were not particularly rich, so Greene supported herself by picking hops in Kent, working at the Lyons Corner House near Leicester Square and in the kitchens of the Savoy. After a very sheltered upbringing, London, even in the early Fifties, could shock her. 'One night we ended up at a gay club near South Africa House,' she remembers. 'I didn't even know that those sort of things existed. It was the biggest shock of my life. The woman who ran it was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen - and she was a lesbian.' After 18 months Greene completed her studies, returned to South Africa and, armed with one of her mentor's Strong Boxes, became the country's first equine physiotherapist. However, marriage and children soon followed and for more than 20 years she was a farmer's wife. In 1974 she divorced and her life changed. She bought her own farm, rearing pigs and then cattle. For 10 years, the Strong Box was little more than a memory.
Then two women came looking for her. Sir Charles Strong had died from a stroke at the age of 79, but he had been developing a new machine and one of his last wishes was that Winks have one of them. She set out to improve Strong's design, and came up with the 'Winks Greene Transeva', with which she healed thousands of horses. The racehorse Gondolier was her first patient; it had a hindquarter injury and was completely lame and not expected to race again. After treatment from Greene, Gondolier recovered and six months later, in July 1985, won the Durban July Handicap, South Africa's equivalent of the Derby. It wasn't long before the human patients began to knock on her farmhouse door.
Rudi Visagie was the first big name from the sports world to benefit. In 1990 the 6ft 7in rugby union international was suffering from a recurring groin strain that conventional medicine had failed to cure. The injury threatened to bring to an end a wonderful career with the Springboks. Ian MacIntosh, his coach with Natal, had heard about Greene and her magic box and suggested he give her a try. After a couple of sessions Visagie was playing again. 'The results seemed instantaneous,' MacIntosh remembers.
Visagie's success meant that several more of the country's biggest stars were soon making their way to the farm in Kwazulu Natal and asking to be cured. Among them was Henry Honiball, South Africa's brilliant fly-half who had been treated by physiotherapists for five months for a similar injury to no avail. Honiball was sceptical when he knocked on Greene's door. 'This time you can't fix me Winks,' he said. 'Nobody can.' 'Lie down here and we will see,' she said.
Two treatments later Honiball was fit and ready to play. Others to receive the Greene treatment included Springboks Mark Andrews, Andre Joubert and Gary Teichmann. 'She has a certain way and is an amazing lady,' MacIntosh, who now coaches Newport, says. 'She did a lot for us and we had the utmost faith in her. She talked to the players, was full of fun and very direct. We all enjoyed being with her. Winks is such a positive person, you would tell her about an injury and she'd never say maybe, she just worked it out and fixed it. You almost heal before she touches you.'
'I don't have a problem treating groins, it is quite a simple process,' says Greene. 'The machine picks up the problem straight away; I have never asked it to fix something that it has not fixed.'
Visagie and Honiball were treated more than a decade ago, but the tradition continues and one of her more recent successes is the gifted forward Bobby Skinstad, whom she treated for two major injuries. First there was an ankle injury sustained in New Zealand. Three orthopaedic surgeons said he would have to have surgery if he wished to play again. Skinstad was cured with four treatments and had no further problems. Then Skinstad injured his knee in a car crash. After having conventional treatment for 16 months, Skinstad, his rugby career disappearing in double quick time, took a chance and rented a cottage near Winks. 'Bobby booked in for seven treatments, with 48 hours in between each session,' Greene remembers. 'He started to show signs of recovery almost immediately and was able to bend his knee and do things he had not been able to do for over a year after the third and fourth treatment. The results were so encouraging that he flew back for a further four treatments.'
She treated most of South Africa's provincial teams, and during one of the  Tri-Nations tournament was flown to Cape Town to treat Springbok flanker Corne Krige for a hardened haematoma on his thigh. But it's not just rugby players. Olympic swimmers and hockey players, jockeys, marathon runners and Charlton's South African defender Mark Fish have also had the Transeva treatment. In Britain, Premiership players and rugby clubs have expressed interest, and the Transeva is used by a number of equine physiotherapists, human physiotherapists and chiropractors.
Sometimes the injuries are a lot more serious than a career-threatening groin strain. Duncan Mackay was 19 when he became a quadriplegic after breaking his neck playing rugby. Greene saw him soon after the accident and nine weeks later he was walking. After 11 weeks he was managing without assistance, he is now running two miles a day. 'The earlier I can get the patients for all injuries the quicker I can fix them,' said Greene.
James Hill had recently qualified as a vet when he broke his neck playing rugby and suffered a similar injury to that of Superman actor Christopher Reeve, becoming a complete quadriplegic. The expert opinion was that he would never have movement below the neck. Yet thanks to Greene's treatment, he can feed himself and push himself up with his legs. 'He is going to walk - and he is as determined as I am,' said Greene.
The Transeva box hardly looks a wonder of modern technology. The size of a shoe box, it is functional rather than flashy; its secret lies in what it does rather than how it looks. Winks Greene had no desire for it to be a secret. For three years now her Transevas have been manufactured near Durban and sold around the world (though most have been sold in South Africa).. 'I haven't advertised yet as I want it to be perfect,' she says. 'Something that does not break, lasts for years. A machine that is going to be well worthwhile.'
Greene remained modest about her achievement and her work ('I am Sir Charles Strong's disciple, he is the master') but she had no doubt about its profound significance. 'I know that it's going to change the concept of muscular skeletal problems worldwide,' she says. 'It is the only treatment that can pinpoint the exact spot where the lesion is on an animal and human. 'In comparison to other physiotherapy machines it is thought to be cheap. It has not been built in the hi-tech, lights flashing, techno world of science, but is a simple machine, which anyone can use without harm. It is not there to make money; it's there to help people.'
And with that she returned to her favourite patients - the ones who are measured in hands, not feet.



website designed & hosted by Blink - Affordable Marketing Specialists